A second victim has died from injuries sustained in the early morning fire last Wednesday in Horn Lake.
Eleven-year-old Jalen Blackwell, a fifth-grade student at Center Hill Elementary School in Olive Branch, was pronounced brain dead at LeBonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis on Sunday and her organs were donated in order to perhaps save or preserve someone else's life, during a procedure on Monday.
Blackwell died at 9:24 a.m. according to DeSoto County Interim Coroner Josh Pounders, who was in communication with the Shelby County Medical Examiner's Office on Monday.
Her mother Heather Jordan must now plan two funerals — one for daughter Jalen and the other for her father Robert Stull, 65, who also perished in the fire.
Jordan, who suffered first and second degree burns on her face during the fire, said she is nearly overcome with grief but is getting through the family's ordeal with prayers and assistance from friends and family.
Jordan's other child, Jalen's twin brother, Cadin, also 11, has been released from LeBonheur.
Jordan remembered her daughter as a sweet fun-loving girl who liked to wear make-up, sing and dance.
"She loved her family," Jordan said. "She was a very caring daughter. She never met a stranger. She was a very popular girl. I didn't realize how popular she was until all of her friends started coming up to LeBonheur."
Jordan said she will also dearly miss her father, Robert Stull.
"He was a good old country boy," Jordan said. "He liked to hunt and fish. He was also a very caring man."
At the time of the fire there was a total of six persons in the home.
It appears that Stull was asleep on a sofa in the living room when a fire began "in three different spots" involving a space heater and due to an overloaded power strip electrical cord.
Jordan said fire investigators from Chattanooga were at the residence as late as Saturday, combing the home for clues to the origin of the fire.
Another individual who was in the home, Hayley Hardy, is in critical condition as a result of the fire.
Hardy's boyfriend Austin Snow also woke to flames during Wednesday's fire.
There is a GoFundMe account in Hardy's name to help with medical expenses.
Jordan also has a GoFundMe account in her name to also help defray medical costs and burial expenses for her father and daughter.
Family friend Michelle Barker Ford said Jordan is "one of the sweetest people you will ever meet. Our prayers go out to her."
Robert Lee Long is Community Editor of the DeSoto Times-Tribune. He may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 662-429-6397, Ext. 252.